When we talk to clients about polished concrete the word ‘coating’ always seems to pop up. Polished concrete, to everyones surprise, is not a slick coating sprayed or rolled on in a day. There is no coating at all, the concrete is polished with fine diamonds till it is so smooth it becomes a mirror finish. The only coating applied is a guard to protect the surface from staining. There is no coating to come off or peel so thats what makes it a superior flooring choice.
The cost for polished concrete can vary from job to job and contractor to contractor. There are many ways to finish the concrete and achieve the look desired. The process to polish concrete correctly has many steps and does take time to achieve a great looking floor. When getting a quote be sure to compare apples to apples. Some installers will just grind the concrete (200 grit), seal and wax it to try and achieve the polished concrete look. Where true polished concrete will achieve a mirror finish by polishing (3000 grit). Others might just grind concrete lightly and put epoxy on top… this is an option but is not polished concrete!
Some great information on polishing concrete if you would like to learn more about the process.
Just finished another application of this great product called Streetbond.
This product is amazing! First of all it coats both concrete and asphalt and will not delaminate , shrink or crack. We can put this product down in an endless array of colours or even have a custom colour done. The colour will not fade even after years of being in the sunlight. This product will also stand up to years of punishment from our harsh Canadian winters.
We turned this drab old concrete driveway into something the client can be proud of again. We fixed all the holes, cracks and imperfections with new concrete then applied two coats of Streetbond. This job was finished with Irish Cream colour.
• Flexibility – Unlike most asphalt coatings, StreetBond coatings work with the normal expansion and contraction of asphalt surfaces and will not peel, delaminate or shrink-crack.
• Durability – StreetBond coatings are tough enough to withstand traffic wear, highly resistant to water damage and have superior adhesion characteristics that outperform other decorative asphalt coating products.
• Environmentally Responsible – StreetBond coatings help contribute to a healthy environment. They are nontoxic, fully recyclable and water-based. They have very low volatile organic content (VOC).
• Chemical Resistance – StreetBond coatings are resistant to damage and deterioration when exposed to fuel, engine oil and deicing agents.
• Color Stability – StreetBond coatings incorporate UV stable pigments that are fade-resistant when exposed to harsh sunlight.
• Friction – StreetBond coatings have excellent friction properties resulting in safe slip- and skid-resistant colored concrete surfaces that exceed all government regulated vehicle skid resistance requirements.
We all love our exposed aggregate and stamped concrete when its first installed. You want to protect it to keep it looking great for years to come. You seal your driveway or patio every season, maybe twice as much will be even better. Looks great and maybe we should add some more sealer for that extra protection, just lather it on … but wait…. what is going on with my concrete? Its white and dull looking.. terrible curb appeal. What do I do?
What you have is a very large build up of sealer and needs to be removed. You will never get that dark rich look to your concrete again until you remove it. Removal of this high or a build of sealer is tricky and costly.
Follow these important steps for a great looking concrete:
- Always pressure wash to remove all dirt and debris and any access loose sealer.
- Only apply new sealer once every couple years or so. Do not over apply!
- Use a low VOC acrylic sealer and not all sealers are the same.
- If you are not sure …. get a professional to install.
Old sealer on exposed aggregate can lead to white dirty look.
Looks 100% better!!